Small Business Development Centers

Do you need help starting a business or assistance in helping your business grow to become more profitable? The Montana Small Business Development Centers or SBDC focus on the creation, retention and expansion of small businesses. The SBDC provides one-on-one business counseling and assistance with business plan development, financial management, market feasibility, and international trade at no cost to you. Visit the SBDC web page by clicking here, or by phone at 406-841-2747.


U.S. Small Business Administration

The SBA helps people start, build and grow businesses. Visit their web page by clicking  here, or by phone at 800-827-5722.

Business.gov Tips and Advice

Resources for self-employed and home-based businesses. Visit business.gov by clicking  here.

Governor's Office of Economic Development

Find access to the financial programs available from the state. Visit the Governor's Office of Economic Development, or by phone at 406-444-5634.


Obtaining a Business License

The State of Montana does not have a General Business License. However, some counties or cities may have licensing requirements.

Contractors Registration

All incorporated construction contractors and construction contractors with employees must register.  Construction contractors without employees, plumbers and electricians may register but registration is not required. You can register with the Employment Relations Division. You can call the ERD at 406-444-7734.

Independent Contractors

Register with the Department of Labor and Industry Independent Contractor Central Unit or by phone at 406-444-9029.

Medical Marijuana

For all Medical Marijuana inquiries, visit the Department of Public Health and Human Services: Montana Marijuana Program, or by phone at 406-444-0596 or 444-2676.

One-Stop Licensing

Obtain or renew your license for Food Purveyor, Off-Premise Beer & Wine, Tobacco Retail & Wholesale, Nursery, Underground Storage Tanks, Petroleum Dealers (Meters) and Weighing Devices (Scales), or by phone at 406-444-3506.

Food and Consumer Safety

Obtain license information and guidelines for retail food service, wholesale food, public accommodations, trailer courts, campgrounds, pools, spas, body art facilities and other institutions. Go to Food and Consumer Safety or call 406-444-2408.

Professional and Occupational Licensing

There are certain types of businesses that are required to register and be licensed by the state. The  Business Standards Division listing of License Types and Board/Program Associations is a tool to help individuals discover which state, federal or local office they need to contact for professional licenses and business certifications.  You can also reach the BSD by phone at 406-841-2300.

Licensed Occupations List

An A-Z listing of occupations including details on the licensing requirement, applicable fees, as well as information on average wages and the employment outlook. Go to Licensed Occupations List or contact them at 800-541-3904 or 406-444-2430.


Apply for a State Withholding Account Number

Individuals who earn wages by performing services in Montana are liable for Montana income tax. As an employer, it is your duty by law to deduct the tax from the wages you pay. Every employer who resides in Montana and every nonresident employer who pays wages for services performed in Montana must withhold Montana income tax. Set up your account today with the TransAction Portal or TAP, click on the 'Business' button to set up your account.

Apply for an Unemployment Insurance Account

Employers pay state unemployment insurance taxes. If you are an employer subject to the unemployment insurance law, you are a 'covered' employer and must pay the unemployment insurance taxes. To apply for an account visit the Montana Department of Labor and Industry's  Unemployment Insurance Division, you can also reach the Unemployment Insurance Division at 406-444-3834.

Apply for a Workers Compensation Insurance Account

All businesses in Montana with employees are required by law to have workers' compensation insurance. Workers comp insurance from Montana State Fund provides benefits to a worker suffering from a work-related injury or occupational disease. To apply for an account visit the Montana State Fund, you can also reach Montana State Fund at 800-332-6102


Register your New Business

Most businesses and non-profits are required to register with the Montana Secretary of State's Office, you can reach the SOS office at 406-444-3665.

Apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number

The Internal Revenue Service requires every business who hires employees, or is a partnership or corporation have a federal tax identification number (FEIN), you can reach the IRS at 800-829-4933.