Sign up for TAP
You must be registered in our tax system and have a valid email address to sign up for TAP access.
You also need the following information:
Individual Income Tax
To access your account, you must have filed a Montana tax return within the last five years.
• Social Security Number
• Federal Adjusted Gross Income (Fed AGI) from your last return filed in Montana. If you only filed a Form 2EC last year, you may use the total gross household income from Form 2EC, Line 1.
Business Income Tax, Miscellaneous Taxes or Liquor Accounts
• Montana Tax Account ID assigned by the Department of Revenue when an account is created. This 13-digit alphanumeric ID is formatted as 1234567-890-ABC.
• Zip code for your account
• The 13-digit alphanumeric Montana Tax Account ID formatted as 1234567-890-WTH.
• Zip Code
• Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Instead of your FEIN, you can use the last payment amount, or total wages paid subject to withholding from your most recent Form MW-3.
• To register a File Upload account, fill out the File Upload Application.
• If your business already has a File Upload Account, you need your 13-digit Montana Tax Account ID and zip code.
Third Party Access
• Tax preparers who file returns for clients must set up their own TAP logon for centralized access to multiple client accounts. You can sign up as an individual or as a business.
Username and Password Rules
Usernames are alphanumeric and 6 to 20 characters:
• Alphanumeric characters only
• At least 6 characters
• No more than 20 characters
• Spaces are not allowed
• Are case sensitive
• At least 8 characters
• At least 1 uppercase alpha
• At least 1 lowercase alpha
• At least 1 numeric
• At least 1 special character, e.g.: ~!@#$%^&*_+ - \|/
• Cannot be reused
• Spaces are allowed
Account Access Levels
Administrators manage the access of the Account Managers to each account.
They approve or deny requests for access and grant permission for the actions the Account Manager is allowed.
The Account Manager can View, File, and Pay or a combination of those based on the permission granted by the Administrator.
Access another account
If you have account manager level access, you must request access to each account. In the I Want To section, select Add Access to Another Account.
Your request will be sent to the person with account administrator level access for authorization.
Third Party: Access my client accounts
Tax preparers who file returns for clients must set up their own TAP logon for centralized access to multiple client accounts. Note: Your client must have their account set up before you request access to their account.
1. Log in to your own individual or business tax account.
2. Select Add Third Party Account Access.
3. Provide specific account information about your client's account and submit your access request.
An email notice will be sent to your client immediately.
Once they approve your access, you will receive a notice from TAP@mt.gov stating the account access change.
4. Log in, select Clients’ Accounts to view the account(s) you have been granted access to.
Forgot My Password
You need your username and answer to your secret question. An email to reset your password will be sent to you. When you receive the email, click the link and enter your secret answer. You will then be prompted to enter your new password. If you can’t reset it, create a new login account.
An authentication code will be sent to you when you sign up for TAP. You will need to request and provide a new authentication code each time you log into your TAP account unless you choose the “Trust This Computer” option. Do not choose this option if you are using a public computer. For this feature to work, you must change your browser settings to not delete cookies.
You can expect to receive your authentication code within five minutes of your request. If you request a new authentication code before you receive the first code, you will need to wait for the second code. Authentication codes sent by text are usually faster.
Some internet providers and spam filters may stop certain emails. Set your filters to allow an email from TAP@mt.gov. If you do not receive a code, contact us to request a new code be sent by a different method (e.g., text or email).
Manage authorized users on my account
As the account administrator, you can remove or add other users’ access to your accounts; and, manage additional logons from your profile. You can cease their login, change the type of access they have, and designate which tax accounts they can access. You can also view their recent activity on your account.
Cancel my TAP Access
You can cancel your TAP access at any time from your Profile.
Inactivity timeout security feature
After 15 minutes of inactivity your account will lock. Reenter your password to continue.
After 45 minutes of inactivity, you will be logged out of your account. All unsaved information will be lost. Enter your username and password to log back in.