Taxpayer Bill of Rights
15-1-222, Montana Codes Annotated
The Department of Revenue shall in the course of performing its duties in the administration and collection of the state's taxes ensure that:
- The taxpayer has the right to record any interview, meeting, or conference with auditors or any other representatives of the department;
- The taxpayer has the right to hire a representative of the taxpayer's choice to represent the taxpayer's interests before the department or any tax appeal board. The taxpayer has a right to obtain a representative at any time, except that the selection of a representative may not be used to unreasonably delay a field audit that is in progress. The representative must have written authorization from the taxpayer to receive from the department confidential information concerning the taxpayer. The department shall provide copies to the authorized representative of all information sent to the taxpayer and shall notify the authorized representative concerning contacts with the taxpayer.
- The taxpayer has the right to obtain tax advice from the department. The taxpayer has a right to the waiver of penalties and interest, but not taxes, when he has relied on written advice provided to him by an employee of the department.
- At the discretion of the department, the taxpayer has the right to pay delinquent taxes, interest, and penalties on an installment basis. This subsection applies only to taxes collected by the department, provided the taxpayer meets reasonable criteria.
- The taxpayer has the right to a complete and accurate written description of the basis for any additional tax assessed by the department;
- The taxpayer has the right to a review by management level employees of the department for any additional taxes assessed by the department;
- The taxpayer has the right to a full explanation of the available procedures for review and appeal of additional tax assessments;
- The taxpayer, after the exhaustion of all appropriate administrative remedies, has the right to have the state tax appeal board or a court, or both, review any final decision of the department assessing an additional tax. The taxpayer shall seek a review in a timely manner. A taxpayer is entitled to collect court costs and attorney fees from the department for frivolous or bad faith lawsuits as provided in 25-10-711.
- The taxpayer has the right to a full explanation of the department's authority to collect delinquent taxes, including the procedures and notices that are required to protect the taxpayer;
- The taxpayer has the right to have certain property exempt from levy and seizure as provided in Title 25, chapter 13, part 6, and any other applicable provisions in Montana law;
- The taxpayer has the right to the immediate release of any lien the department has placed on property when the tax is paid or when the lien is the result of an error by the department;
- The taxpayer has the right to assistance from the department in complying with state and local tax laws that the department administers; and
- The taxpayer has the right to be guaranteed that an employee of the department is not paid, promoted, or in any way rewarded on the basis of assessments or collections from taxpayers.
Last updated 5/18/2010 3:06:30 PM